SCHOLARSHIP GENERAL INFORMATION – Damascus Lions Club 2013
The Damascus Lions Foundation, Damascus, Maryland announces the Vernon R. Simpson Scholarship program for the school year 2012-2013. Scholarships in the amount of $ 1,500.00 each will be awarded in the Spring 2013.
To be eligible for consideration, an applicant:
- Must be a graduating senior in the upper 50% of the class who will attend full-time in an accredited postsecondary academic institution, accredited vocational, trade or business school
- Must present a complete application package. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- May not have a family relative who is a member of the Damascus Lions Club.
Applicants will be judged on scholastic achievement, leadership, character, citizenship, school activities, work experience, community activities. The decision of the scholarship committee will be final.
The following information must be submitted by April 12, 2013 to:
Student Loan and Scholarship Committee, Damascus Lions Club
By mail to:
Lion Mary Frances Gosnell, Scholarship Chairman,
1674 Florence Road, Mount Airy, MD 21771
1. A completed Application for Scholarship Grant (attached).
2. A High School Academic Transcript, including SAT and other test score results, certified by school registrar.
3. Three (3) letters of recommendations. One recommendation should be academic, preferably from a teacher/instructor, NOT a relative; the second should be from someone who knows of your public and community service involvement; the third one from someone who knows you well or a counselor or employer.
4. A brief original essay by the applicant indicating their career objectives and how pursuing Higher Education is necessary in attaining those objectives.
The successful recipients of the scholarships will be announced at the School Awards Ceremony and the Damascus Lions Youth Night.
The scholarship grant will be sent to the recipients in July 2013 payable to the college or institution the recipient will be attending.