The Damascus Lions Foundation, Damascus, Maryland announces the Vernon R. Simpson Scholarship program for the school year 2014-2015. Scholarships in the amount of $ 1,500.00 each will be awarded in the Spring 2014.
To be eligible for consideration, an applicant:
- Must be a graduating senior in the upper 50% of the class who will attend full-time in an accredited postsecondary academic institution, accredited vocational, trade or business school
- Must present a complete application package. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Must live in the Damascus/Clarksburg school cluster.
Applicants will be judged on community service, leadership, character, scholastic achievement, school activities & work experience. The decision of the scholarship committee will be final.
The following information must be submitted by April 12, 2014 to:
Student Loan and Scholarship Committee, Damascus Lions Club
By mail to:Lion Mary Frances Gosnell, Scholarship Chairman, 1674 Florence Road
Mount Airy, MD 21771.
- A completed Application for Scholarship Grant (attached).
- A High School Academic Transcript, including SAT and other test score results, total number of community service learning hours, certified by school registrar.
- Three (3) letters of recommendations. One recommendation should be from a teacher/instructor, NOT a relative; two letters from people who know of your character and community service involvement such as members of community organizations or clubs.
- A brief original essay by the applicant indicating their career objectives and how pursuing Higher Education is necessary in attaining those objectives.
The successful recipients of the scholarships will be announced at the School Awards Ceremony and the Damascus Lions Youth Night.
The scholarship grant will be sent to the recipients in July 2014 payable to the college or institution the recipient will be attending. All scholarship decisions are at the sole discretion of the Damascus Lions scholarship award committee.