By Lion Wayne Marr, Chair
Damascus Lions: Let’s give ourselves a well-deserved pat on the back. We raised $2,245.73 last month. We exceeded that amount only once in our entire White Cane history; and that was ten years ago! Thirty-three dedicated Damascus Lions performed storefront collections over thirty-eight shifts during a mostly pleasant Spring-like week. We ended up manning every shift except one!
Please think the word: “Lion” in front of every name in this article. Those fines are rough!
All shifts at Safeway, CVS, and Red Rooster did well. Some shifts at Tom and Ray’s did well, while others did not. Whipp’s Garage did OK, but we can make it work better next time with a shift adjustment.
– Four Over-$100-in-One-Shift Club recognitions go to:
- Barbara Barry, who collected $139.18 at Safeway on Thursday afternoon;
- Sandy Gill (+ her doggy), who collected $128.60 at CVS on Saturday morning;
- Julie Sain, who collected $108.95 at Tom & Ray’s at Thursday lunch time; and
- Bob Newlin, who collected $105.21 at Safeway on Saturday morning.
– Many Lionsworked two or three shifts, which is to be highly commended. These Lions are indicated with a “(2!)” or “(3!)” following their names below. Many of these multi-shifted Lions brought in over $100 total when you sum up all their shifts.
– The Bert Lahr Special Award for Most Courageous Lion goes jointly to Jack Poole and Bob Newlin. These two Lions had to overcome incredibly intense negative White Cane karma in order to sign up for storefront shifts. Their hands shook violently as they put their names on the schedule, with all the courage they could muster…… and they both said afterwards that they actually enjoyed it!
Here is the total list of Damascus Lions who gave of their time for one or more storefront collection shifts (multiple shifts in parentheses): B. Barry, Burlas(2!), Davis, Dotterer, Fletcher(3!), Gill(2!), Gladhill, Gosnell, C. Hertel(2!), T. Hertel, Hibbard(2!), C. Holpuch, M. Holpuch, Jackson(3!), Mallack, Mayhew, Molesworth, Newlin, Peters, Poland, Poole, Rogers, Sain, J. Schwab, W. Schwab, Snapp, C. Stone, Ch. Stone, Thornett, Ward, C. Wyatt, Joe Wyatt (a Lion Spouse!).
As always, special thanks go to our committee members who served as Managers of the Day and/or Money Counters: Ken Phillips, Del Mayhew, Tom Jackson, George Hibbard, and Vi Hibbard (a Lion Spouse!).